Table 4

Description and typical occupations of common nonimmigrant visa classifications that authorize employment

Visa classification Description Typical occupations
Traditional work visas
H-1B Specialty occupations that require a college degree or its equivalent Computer and information technology, accountants, physicians, nurses, teachers
H-2A Seasonal agricultural occupations Fruit and vegetable crop farming, tobacco farming, shepherding
H-2B Seasonal non-agricultural occupations that do not require a college degree Landscaping and groundskeeping, forestry, housekeeping, construction, seafood processing
L-1 Intracompany transfers, either managers and executives or employees with “specialized knowledge” Corporate managers and executives, information technology occupations
O-1 Persons with extraordinary ability in the sciences, art, education, business, or athletics
P-1 Internationally recognized athletes or members of entertainment groups; essential support personnel Professional athletes, professional and well known entertainers, circus performers and their staff, other support staff
TN Canadian and Mexican professionals (visa created by North American Free Trade Agreement) Accountants, architects, economists, lawyers, pharmacists, teachers
Other visa classifications that
permit up to full-time employment
F-1 Foreign university students Various on-campus occupations, information technology occupations (especially in the Optional Practical Training program)
A-3 Attendants, servants, or personal employees of diplomats, embassy workers, and foreign government officials Domestic workers
G-5 Attendants, servants, or personal employees of representatives and staffers of international organizations Domestic workers
J-1 Exchange visitors Various programs (approximately 15)—such as Summer Work Travel, Intern/Trainee, Camp Counselors, Alien Physicians, and Teachers—permit a wide range of occupations and varying skill levels, including amusement and recreation park workers, lifeguards, housekeepers, teachers, camp counselors, physicians, and farmworkers
B-1 Business visitors (cannot receive remuneration from a U.S. source) Attending business meetings; maintenance of goods purchased by U.S. company from home country; B-1 in lieu of J-1, or H-1B, or H-3; personal servants of B-1 business visitor

Source: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website, accessed July 2014; U.S. Department of State website, accessed July 2014; Immigration and Nationality Act § 101(a)(15)

Copy the code below to embed this chart on your website.

Previous chart: «

Next chart: »