The Economic Policy Institute (EPI), the nation’s leading progressive economic think tank, is seeking a communications director who is dynamic, articulate, collaborative, collegial, creative, and committed to advancing policies that improve the lives of working people. The communications director guides a talented communications department staff responsible for helping our widely respected experts educate policymakers, advocates, the media, and the public about ways to solve some of the country’s toughest economic problems. This is a great opportunity for someone eager to play a role in tackling income inequality, stagnant wages, racial and gender pay gaps, and power imbalances in the workplace.
- Lead EPI’s external communications and dissemination strategy (media relations, digital publishing, dynamic web content, social media, digital engagement, emails, videos, podcasts, and events), ensuring that working people have a voice in the public debate on EPI’s priority issues and that EPI, its scholars, and its research shape that debate.
- Serve as spokesperson for EPI with press and in public settings.
- Oversee communications team members (and consultants when appropriate), implementing EPI’s external communications, evaluating processes and results in order to maximize impact while safeguarding EPI’s reputation as the go-to source for high-quality research on kitchen-table economic issues.
- Engage the communications team in designing and deploying new communications tools and external relationships to reach new audiences at the national, state, and local levels while increasing the engagement of current audiences.
- Report to the vice president of EPI and participate in the determination of organizational goals and projects as a member of EPI’s senior management team, keeping the communications team informed and involved.
- Serve as a strategic partner and internal consultant to research, development, and government relations staff, providing them with guidance and products that help them reach their intended audiences and meet their goals while ensuring unified, consistent, and effective messaging aligned with organizational priorities.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 10 years of public affairs and related experience preferred, preferably in a mission-driven environment.
- Knowledge and expertise in communications, journalism, media relations, digital strategy, social media, print and digital publishing, editing, and email marketing.
- Strong foundation in politics and economic/social/labor policy.
- Experience using web platforms for public relations, social media, and content management.
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills. Attention to detail essential.
- Exceptional management skills to direct a creative communications team and strong organizational, budgeting, contract negotiation, and staff development skills.
- Facility with handling multiple long- and short-term projects, and the capacity to change focus based on organizational needs.
- Capacity to build trust, confidence, and consensus around priorities within the department, across departments, and with partner organizations.
- Ability to travel as necessary.
- Ability to be flexible with schedule, working evenings or on weekends as needed to meet tight deadlines. (However, EPI values work-life balance, and staff are discouraged from working long or irregular hours on a routine basis).
To apply: Please send a cover letter articulating your interest in this particular job, along with a resume to Communicationsemail@example.com, with the subject “Communications Director.” Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Pay for this position starts at $125,000 annually and is commensurate with experience. EPI offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package, including generous paid time off as well as retirement contributions, medical, vision, dental, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance.
EPI is a unionized workplace. The communications director is not in the union but manages some union staff members.
EPI is an Equal Opportunity employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse staff. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, or other categories protected by law.