EPI’s Family Budget Calculator measures the income a family needs in order to attain a secure yet modest standard of living in 618 areas across the country. Compared with the federal poverty line, EPI’s family budgets provide a more accurate and complete measure of economic security in America. These factsheets offer a full picture of what it costs to live in a given area and how family size affects these costs.
Family Budgets in
For a two-parent, two-child family in , it costs per month ( per year) to secure a decent yet modest standard of living.
Here’s a breakdown of how much it costs for a two-parent, two-child family to get by in :
- Housing: per month • of total costs
- Food: per month • of total costs
- Child care: per month • of total costs • Costs range from for a single-child family to for a family with three kids.
- Transportation: per month • of total costs
- Health care: per month • of total costs
- Other necessities: per month • of total costs
- Taxes: per month • of total costs
In total, the cost of living for this family is in the median family budget area ($5,312/month, $63,741/year).
Source: Economic Policy Institute, August 2015. Data are in 2014 dollars.