How bailout packages that protect working people and fight corporate greed should look:
Firms that receive taxpayer dollars…
- MUST NOT be permitted to lay off workers, or to outsource or offshore work.
- MUST NOT be permitted to cut workers’ pay or benefits, or to reopen union contracts.
- SHOULD respect workers’ rights and must be required to remain neutral in any union organizing effort.
- SHOULD include workers on corporate boards.
- SHOULD limit CEO compensation.
- SHOULD be prohibited from stock buybacks.
— Heidi Shierholz and Celine McNicholas, EPI
Economic Policy Institute