Executive Assistant – Economic Analysis and Research Network (EARN) at EPI
EPI seeks a dynamic and skilled professional to join our EARN team as an executive assistant. The assistant will coordinate and manage the administrative work of the EARN Director and support the EARN team in day-to-day activities. The ideal candidate will be resourceful and able to prioritize multiple tasks, including schedule, travel and event logistics planning, meeting coordination, and drafting and formatting high quality documents in a professional and organized manner. A keen eye for detail and accuracy is essential. They should have at least three years’ experience in a high-level secretarial or administrative role with a solid understanding of computer and software technology and office equipment.
About EPI and EARN
The Economic Policy Institute (EPI) is an independent, nonprofit, nonpartisan think tank that researches the impact of economic trends and policies, centering the economic interests of workers in the United States. EPI is a key institution in the movement for racial, gender, and economic justice in the United States and is widely recognized as a source of authoritative analysis on economic trends, with a particular focus on inequality and the forces that diminish the power of people of color and women.
The Economic Analysis and Research Network (EARN) is a nationwide network of 56 state-based research, policy, and advocacy organizations advancing an inclusive, worker-centered economy through state and local policy change. EARN groups conduct research on the economy, analyze public policies, and collaborate with advocates and community groups to develop and advocate for policies that prioritize racial and gender equity and confront the fundamental power imbalances in the workplace to create an economy that works for everyone. EARN is coordinated by staff at the Economic Policy Institute.
What You Will Do
- Maintain the EARN Director’s schedule and keep the EARN contact database up to date.
- Assist other staff on the EARN team and EPI’s Policy team to schedule meetings, as requested and appropriate.
- Manage all travel arrangements for the EARN Director and prepare, submit, and track expense reimbursements. Assist with travel arrangements and reimbursements for the rest of the EARN team and others partnering with EARN or speaking at EARN events when needed.
- Develop office organizational and communications systems and protocols as needed.
- Serve as “gateway” to the EARN Director:
- Review, prioritize, and handle incoming correspondence, phone calls and other details and route where appropriate to facilitate action.
- Schedule meetings and appointments.
- Prepare, research, and assemble appropriate background materials for the team’s speaking engagements and meetings.
- Plan and coordinate internal and external meetings.
- In coordination with other EARN staff, help plan and coordinate the logistics for EARN conferences, special events and office functions. Liaise with external vendors and caterers to facilitate EARN’s events.
- Support administration of sub-grants to EARN members and local partners
- Coordinate EARN team and other internal staff meetings. Ensure follow-through on meeting action items and tasks.
- Assist with resolving technology-related issues for the EARN team.
- Maintain online accounts, contact lists, and subscriptions, such as Zoom, Mailchimp, and EARN’s listserv system.
- Other duties as assigned.
What You Bring
- A bachelor’s degree is preferred but may be replaced by additional relevant work experience.
- At least three years of high-level administrative support experience in a professional office setting.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including ability to proofread, edit, and revise.
- Superior organizational skills with excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Facility with the Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel/spreadsheets, and online teleconferencing programs, such as Zoom.
- Experience coordinating logistics for virtual and in-person events is a plus.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of EPI staff; EARN groups and other local, state, and national partners; state and local government officials; the press; universities; unions; foundations; etc.
- Independent judgment, problem-solving skills, and ability to meet deadlines.
- Flexible schedule and some overtime required to meet the needs of the EARN team.
- Self-starting and positive approach to tasks with a willingness to learn, innovate, and grow with EPI.
- Commitment to EPI’s mission. Knowledge of and interest in social, political, and economic issues.
- The salary for this position ranges from $62,000 to $72,000 and is dependent on experience.
- EPI offers an excellent benefits package, including generous paid time off, a 9.25% employer-provided 401k retirement contribution, fully employer-funded medical, vision, dental, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance.
- EPI is a unionized workplace with the Nonprofit Professional Employees Union (NPEU). This position is in the bargaining unit and reports to the EARN Director.
EPI believes that having a diverse and inclusive workplace not only strengthens the institute’s work but is also essential for understanding and creating economic policies that support all working people. EPI is an equal opportunity, fair chance, affirmative action employer, committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior history of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, caregiver status, or other categories protected by law.
This position is based at EPI’s offices in Washington, DC. EPI staff are currently working remotely due to the coronavirus pandemic and will resume regular in-person work when it is safe to do so. As a condition of employment, EPI requires all staff to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
To apply: Candidates should send a resume and cover letter highlighting their relevant experience and explaining their interest in working at EPI to firstname.lastname@example.org with “EARN Executive Assistant” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Deadline to apply is April 7, 2023.Back to careers page