When: Thursday, January 30
Where: National Press Club in Washington, DC
EPI economists Heidi Shierholz and Elise Gould are presenting research at the National Academy of Social Insurance conference Strengthening the Web of Financial and Retirement Security for Today’s Working Americans
8:45 a.m. Heidi Sheirholz will participate in a panel called A Divided Nation about addressing the challenges posed by a market economy that distributes its rewards unevenly.
- Heidi Shierholz, Economic Policy Institute
- Matthew S. Rutledge, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College
- Andrew G. Biggs, American Enterprise Institute
- Annie Lowrey, The New York Times
- Moderator: Lori L. Hansen, Consultant on Social Policy
2:20 p.m. Elise Gould will present at a session called The Implications of Medicare’s Higher Cost for Current and Future Beneficiaries
Out-of-pocket Medicare costs are likely to increase in the coming years as policymakers struggle with ways to improve Medicare’s financial condition. Panelists will discuss current proposals that further shift costs to Medicare beneficiaries.
- Elise Gould, Economic Policy Institute
- Karen Smith, The Urban Institute
- Katherine Swartz, Harvard School of Public Health
- Moderator: Renée Landers, Suffolk University Law School